First Insured is seeking an experienced Commercial Lines Underwriter with experience in Garage Liability, Garage Keeper Liability, Dealer Open Lot, E.P.L.I., Cyber, and related coverages. This is a full-time exempt position.
Experience in retail auto dealer (may include RV, Motorcycle, and/or Marine dealers) and auto repair services ..coverages such as open lot, garage keeper liability, garage liability, commercial property and others is required
Position Overview and Summary:
If you are just looking for a new job, please stop reading now. If you're looking for a career - keep reading.
As a both a growing independent agency as well as MGA for a well-known A-rated multi-billion dollar insurer, we are seeking an experienced underwriter to evaluate, rate, or decline new business and renewal submissions in Texas within our retail auto dealer insurance program. Reporting to the vice president, this is a key high-visibility position responsible for accurately evaluating and underwriting auto dealership submissions in order to drive underwriting profitability and develop and maintain strong relationships both with our Program partner as well as with clients and agency staff, including sales managers, producers, and others. The underwriter should work closely with producers and follow established workflows to ensure all policies are underwritten in the most efficient and effective manner while meeting service standards and performance goals, up through first renewal.
Responsibilities and Essential Functions
- Leads the daily triage of new business submissions and own all aspects of the New Business underwriting process; including acceptability and documentation at inception as well as subsequent validation through other sources
- Ensures all submissions are effectively managed to reach decline or quoting status. Determine quick declines and how to communicate with parties (i.e. declination letter or phone call)
- Assess submissions and manage steps to be taken based on assessment and categorization
- Necessary interaction with client or producer to gather needed information in an organized manner
- Responsible for reviewing and responding to back end underwriting reviews and new business audits
- Provides reports necessary to perform underwriting analysis
- Providing accurate instructions to rating
- Preparing and delivers quote proposal to agent or producer
- Follows up on open quotes
- Documents underwriting decisions within standards and expectations
- Determines the pricing, coverages and exclusions for each submission
- Assists in compiling required monthly underwriting reports
- Refer accounts as appropriate if additional authority is required
- Agency travel as needed to build and maintain strong relationships
Key Measures of Success
- New Business production (approx. $1.5 Million annually)
- UW profitability based on quality of audits/file reviews and account loss ratios
- Agency relationships as measured by agency feedback
Required Skills, Key Competencies and Experience:
- Successful "A Players" ONLY. We have high-expectations of everyone in the agency and there is no place for under-performers
- Intelligent and reliable self-starter with well-polished communication skills
- Minimum five year's experience with strong underwriting skill and coverage knowledge and the ability to make underwriting decisions on accounts up to $200,000 in premium size
- Experience with Vertafore AMS360 and underwriting systems knowledge to document and underwrite accounts within work
- Experience with coverages specific to auto/truck/motorcycle dealerships in Texas
Preferred Attributes and Qualifications
- CPCU and/or CRM Designations
- Prior underwriting experience at one of the 'Big Three' known auto dealership direct-writers
Benefits To Joining The First Insured Team
- Competitive Pay with increases possible based upon performance
- Long-Term Career Stability
- 100% Fully-Paid Company Benefits (health/dental/vision/life)
- Two weeks vacation the first year
- One week personal time off
- College Tuition Fund for children of employees
- Work with other experienced "A Player" peers
- Beautiful working environment in Northwest Austin (Arboretum)
First Insured values diversity in the workplace and among our customers. The company provides equal opportunity for employment and promotion to all qualified employees and applicants on the basis of experience, training, education, and ability to do the available work without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex/gender, sexual orientation, national origin, gender identity, disability, marital status, veteran status, genetic information, ancestry or any other status protected by law.
Furthermore, First Insured is committed to providing an equal opportunity workplace that is free of discrimination and harassment based on national origin, race, color, religion, gender, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status, veteran status, genetic information or any other status protected by law.
First Insured does not accept unsolicited Agency resumes and we will not pay fees to any third party agency or firm that does not have a signed "Employment Agency Agreement" already on file with Human Resources.
In order to be considered for this opportunity; send your resume, cover letter, and a list of at least five references to Mark Cannary at firstname.lastname@example.org. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.